Self-Care Tips When Life Gets Tough
We all have times in our lives where we may feel overwhelmed. It could be the unexpected loss of a job, caring for a sick child or the loss of a loved one, these life experiences can throw us off balance and leave us reeling. Sometimes even just a stressful day or week at work can make me feel like I need to de-stress and find my center again.
If you’ve ever heard the phrase “You can’t pour out of an empty cup” then you’ll understand why self-care during these moments is important. I have young kids, and I can’t be a good mom to them if I neglect myself, and by that I mean my overall mental health. So, I’m sharing some of my self-care tips as they have helped me reset and make me feel rejuvenated, so that I can continue to be the best version of myself for the people depending on me. I hope you find them helpful.
- I’m a firm believer in the power of prayer. What I mean by prayer is being in constant communion with God. Everyone has the style of prayer that works best for them but for me, I like to be conversational. I literally just talk to Him anytime and as frequently as I need to because He hears me anytime I need Him. I believe in the words of the bible that says and I’m paraphrasing 🙂 Jesus sympathizes with everything we go through because he also went through it all, even though he didn’t sin. So we can come to Him boldly when we need grace and help in our time of need. This is just great news to me because I know He cares about everything I go through, no matter how seemingly trivial it may be. Not only does He care, but also wants to freely give me the grace and help I need during tough times. Prayer helps exchange my anxious or sad feelings for God’s peace.
- Meditation is the act of contemplation or rumination on a thing for better understanding or enlightenment. I particularly like to meditate on different bible verses because it is truly food to my soul. I also love quotes, which I like to meditate on as well. Meditation forces me to refocus or shift my thoughts from negative to positive, thereby shifting my perspective and outlook.
- I try to make this a regular habit, so I journal even if I’m not stressed or going through a hard time. However, it is all the more important for me to do so when I go through tough times. Journaling helps me to articulate my thoughts and feelings in a way that I may not have been able to otherwise. I sometimes journal my prayers also. I always feel “lighter” or less burdened after I journal.
- This one can be tough because when I’m down, exercise is the last thing on I want to do. However, this is a form of therapy for me in tough times. I don’t always do it when I’m stressed or overwhelmed but when I do, I usually feel better. That’s because of the feel-good endorphin that’s released in your brain after you exercise. This has been scientifically proven to lighten your mood, thereby helping you feel better.
- Finding a trusted friend or person to talk to about your thoughts and feelings about what you’re going through can go a long way. It’s helpful to have someone listen and share your burdens. I also find it helpful because it can also be helpful for someone to offer solutions or a different perspective to whatever problem I may be going through.
- Do things you enjoy
- It can be hard to think of doing anything that brings you joy during a difficult time but it may be what your soul needs. Read a book, go to a spa, spend time with family, sleep, take a bubble bath- it doesn’t matter what it is, just do it! It’ll help lift your spirits and put you in a better mood. For me, spending time with my family rejuvenates me. Also, the first thing that suffers during a tough time for me is sleep. So for me, getting adequate sleep is extremely important because it elevates my mood when I’m down. I also love going to the spa for a full body massage, although I don’t do this nearly as often as I’d like, lol. The point is to find whatever sparks joy in you and do it often.
I hope you’ve found these tips helpful. I’m curious to know what your self-care tips are. Please share them in the comments below.
Written by simplyfunmi